Home > Personal Finance Center > Security Center > Safeguarding Your Financial Information and Identity - Your Pocketbook or Wallet Is Stolen: First Steps to Take
Safeguarding Your Financial Information and Identity - Your Pocketbook or Wallet Is Stolen: First Steps to Take
- Suspend your credit and debit cards. Notify all financial institutions so unauthorized charges will not be made.
- File a report with the police. If any crimes are committed in your name, a police report backs up your innocence.
- Close accounts. Stopping payments on bank accounts may not be a long-lasting solution. Open new accounts instead.
- Change your locks. If your keys were stolen, change locks immediately.
- Take careful notes. Make a note of every conversation, phone call, and other communications with financial institutions, police, etc.
- Reconsider what you carry. Do you need to keep health insurance cards in your pocketbook? Do you need to carry all your credit cards? Minimize what you carry and you can reduce the impact of a stolen wallet or pocketbook.