Healthcare: A Basic Guide to Coverage
Small-business owners seeking to provide some degree of healthcare benefits to their employees have a big job ahead of them. Besides making room in the budget for the expenses associated with insurance programs, they also must decide exactly what products will best fit their companies' unique needs.
The chapters in this section represent a healthcare primer. Besides taking a hard look at why health benefits are critical to both owners and employees, these articles offer a wealth of information on the healthcare reform law, general coverage, group insurance, disability, special programs and much more.
- The Affordable Care Act — This article explains the different employer health insurance requirements and programs included in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, commonly known as "Obamacare."
- Healthcare Overview: Options and Resources — This article examines the "why" behind offering insurance options, available programs and where to find help.
- Small-Group Insurance — Read this article for in-depth information on an array of small group medical plans, including indemnity, HMO, PPO, CDHC, EPO and POS programs.
- Special Plans — Some employers offer additional healthcare products to fill in coverage gaps. This section addresses High Deductible Health Plans, dental insurance and vision plans.
- Providing for the Future — Disability and life insurance programs can be confusing. This article provides a concise rundown of resources to help clarify the matter.
- Assistance for Lower Income Workers — This chapter discusses premium assistance for lower-income workers under the healthcare reform law, as well as patient assistance programs, HSAs and more.